This post is for all you warm weather blog readers out there who might not know what "shipping" cattle is. No boats are involved, and only frozen water this time of year. The semi trucks chained up their wheels at the county road so they wouldn't slip off the side of the road when they are loaded heavy with cattle. About 50,000 lbs per truck is what they haul legally....maybe a few less than 50 full grown cows are on board. They haul the cattle to the sale barn, where they are auctioned off to the highest bidder and go to their new home. Many of those that we sent this trip were going to calve later than we would like. We need to have calves all born within a 60 day period so they are a uniform size when selling them next fall. We also have to move on to the next project in May, which is irrigating hay lands, then putting up the hay, so don't want to be watching cows at that time. They go to the mountain pastures while we are busy doing that.
Hmmmm, I am already thinking about springtime, I wonder why??
2 comments:
Sorry, but we don't envy you!! We're almost bare now! I was out in just a vest yesterday. You might have to come visit to warm up!
Susie, I really don't think your blog should be "Rocky Mtn Sunbeams" ... the "Sunbeams" seems a bit off .... maybe "Rocky Mtn Iceberg" or "Rocky Mtn Hypothermia" would be more fitting =) I think the OFL degrees stands for AWFUL! Thinking of y'all and hope you're staying warm ~ love, Hannah B.
Post a Comment