Thursday, April 19, 2007

Going batty.....

WARNING! If mice freak you out, sign out immediately.
The other night, someone (NOT ME) must have left the patio door open a crack. I was checking e mail and the light flickered, and something whirred behind me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something flying up to the kitchen. "GrpaG there is a bird in the house!" He came strolling out and told me NO, it is a bat. I could not do my usual- get up on a chair routine- that I do when a mouse is spotted on the floor, so next best thing is go into the mud room, shut all the doors, and turn off the lights. I don't know what attracts bats, but I didn't want to be doing any of that!! Brave Grpa, was trying to keep an eye on the intruder, dodge the swooping acro"bat"ics, and get a broom to drop it out of the air. I found one in the mud room, opened the door a crack, tossed it up to the kitchen (well, it almost made it), and the end fell off. He got it put together, and the hunt was on. As I remember it, I was peeking through the glass doors and every time it would swoop towards him I would let involuntarily let out a quiet little noise (GrpaG will tell you it was a loud yell, which unnerved him and made him wonder if he was being attacked from another direction.....He may be having some memory problems, I am not sure!) Anyway, when it was all over, we took a picture for anyone who would like to see a bat up close. Thank goodness, this has never happened in all our years here, and hope it does not happen again.

13 comments:

Amy said...

So what I want to know is, when are we going to get that little guy mounted??? I think he'd go great right next to the moose. We should see about getting his little fangs bared don't you think? ;)

Kate said...

Hey Amy,
Great idea...I was thinking that maybe it would look good where Chris's elk is right now. (Hopefully it will be mounted in our finished house soon ;)) George, you didn't even have to go very far for that hunt...and Susie was included whether she wanted to be or not! :)

grmasusie said...

Girls....BAAAD idea! I would make my "quiet involuntary noises" everytime I looked at the thing....and Grpa G would be a nervous wreck!! Thanks for the helpful input though.

Anonymous said...

Between Susie's account of the bat activity and the helpful daughter in laws, I have definitely gotten my laughs for the day! We had tons of bats at our last house and they really are pretty creepy! Morgan would wait until it was dark, then go out with a bb gun and try to eliminate them while they hung above the door - I was always scared they would come in!

candy said...

Awww sick!

ant Vik said...

I am still giggling, from both your account and the daughter in laws helpful hints. :-)

However when you are the one with the bat in the house it is not so funny! Been there done that, and don't want to do it again.

grmasusie said...

One of the fellows here at the ranch remembers a summer cabin they have near Yellowstone where they were having trouble with bats coming in a crack which they filled full of expanding foam to keep them from coming back...well, they failed to realize that the bats were then locked in, and proceded to come into the house that night...he estimated there must have been 100 bats swooping around, they had guests besides the family (those guests NEVER returned!)and everyone was hollering, flailing around with tennis rackets, brooms, etc. Finally they just opened all the windows and doors and the bats seemed to clear out! That sounds like a horror story to me!!!

Jocelyn said...

Bats are gross. I would have been with you in the mud room. I remember when I was out there, we would be sitting on the old loading chute out by the boys' house and bats would be flying all over-it was gross.

Anonymous said...

Well, we're not glad for your sake that you had to go through that - but we're awfully glad you blogged it for our entertainment! The daughter in law comments were the icing on the cake - the mental picture of the bat next to the moose is quite funny!
We don't have bats - that we know of - so the kids enjoyed seeing the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely disgusting.

Anonymous said...

You turned the lights OFF?!?! Are you crazy?!?! I guess a light may have attracted the little guy, but at least you would have been able to SEE him!!! Yikes! Better you than me! ~ Hannah B =)

Anonymous said...

Isn't life interesting on the ranch! Thanks for the story...it was a visual! ...and why do grandpa's always think we are yelling when we aren't and can't hear us when we want them to? :) Lorraine

Anonymous said...

We laughed so hard at that great story! Just imagining George battling the bat while Susie cowered in the mud room making the same "quiet involuntary noises" I would have been making. Glad you prevailed! Jessica B.