Grandpa's helper
This thing is called a Nordfork. The wrestler pops it over the calf's neck when the ropers bring it in. One man can do the work of two wrestlers!
You will hear a generator in the background. We use electric branding irons because they stay heated in our "brisk" winds that never stop...even for branding day! Also the men are branding so many calves so fast, that it is hard to keep the propane type irons heated. When you are trying to get 600 done in a morning, you don't want to have to wait on anything!...or anybody!! ;) The two men in the foreground are wrestling a calf and Kacey Jo in the red sweatshirt, is insecticide ear tagging and notching, and filling syringes.
1 comment:
I am astounded!! I never knew there were "electric" branding irons, let alone "propane" ones. For a city girl, I didn't realize that branding modernized like most other things. Good for ya'll though, huh?!
Post a Comment